  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 4:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Diesel VWs: High Mileage Vehicles, Well Kept Secrets?

  Hakan, MM

  >MM,
  >
  >You asked about VW, Europe and biodiesel. In Europe the VW diesels are
  >certified for RME fuel (biodiesel). The are clearly stating that in the
  >specifications.

  RME = Rapeseed Methyl Esters. They don't like soy biodiesel. It's
  been thought that this is more political than anything else - Europe
  grows rapeseed, the US grows soy. But biodiesel is biodiesel is
  biodiesel. Which is what the EPA says with their "substantial
  equivalence" for all feedstocks, although the NBB only tested virgin
  soy biodiesel. But there could be more to it. Rachel Burton posted a
  link to Lyle's site and her report on a recent SVO workshop with
  Elsbett engineer Alexander Noack. It included this interesting bit:

  "Soybean oil is bad. Whether it is straight vegetable oil or soybean
  based biodiesel. It is a no-go in diesel engines. Why? In diesel
  engines you have slight mixing between fuel and lubricating oil.
  There is a fuel property in soybean oil that makes it reactive when
  in contact with engine lubricating oil. It supposedly has a
  polymerizing action with the engine oil, which is detrimental to the
  life of your lubricating system. What they do in Europe is use a
  vegetable-based lubricating oil for the engine to prevent any
  problems with fuel-lubricating oil intimacy. What else? They do not
  use soybean oil; They use rape seed also known as canola."
  http://www.biofuels.coop/blog/archives/000066.html
  Energy Blog: Elsbett Workshop

  Slightly different, but if you have a look at the new Euro standard
  for biodiesel, here:

  National standards for biodiesel
  http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield2.html#biodstds

  See "Europe EN 14214", scroll down to "Oxidation stability hrs; 110¡C
  - 6 hours min". Only Europe has such a standard, and the concern is
  polymerisation due to oxidation. The Iodine No. standard is <120;
  others are lower, but the US ASTM D-6751 doesn't specify an IV. The
  higher the IV the more it's a drying oil that will polymerise, the
  highest being linseed and fish oil and the lowest coconut and palm
  kernel. For an explanation see:

  Iodine Values
  http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#iodine

  So have a look at these Iodine Values:

  Rapeseed oil, h. eruc. - 97 to 105
  Rapeseed oil, i. eruc. - 110 to 115
  Soybean oil - 125 to 1

  So. I think there's some substance to this, I'll find out more soon.
  Meeting the German or Austrian standard isn't difficult, but the Euro
  standard might be, especially if we think bubblewashing is a great
  idea. Might have to drop bubblewashing, go for simple stirring
  instead (and making the stuff properly in the first place). Might
  have to use an additive as well. And, might have to drop soy too.
  Something tells me the ASTM standard isn't about to adopt these Euro
  oxidation limits any time soon.

  Anyway, both VW and Mercedes seem to be going for Fischer Tropsch
  diesel from biomass. Perhaps the reason they prefer it to biodiesel
  might be that it gives them a nice industrial, high-tech, expensive
  operation to invest in, well beyond the reach of this shabby
  riff-raff that's taken to making biodiesel in their garages and now
  the whole thing's right out of corporate control. :-)

  Best

  Keith

  >Hakan
  >
  >At 20:16 19/05/2004, you wrote:
  > >I have collected four testimonials to high-mileage VW Diesels that
  >came up in
  > >discussion.  I have seen many such testimonials over the years, but I have
  > >been
  > >meaning to make a few points in response to them.  These came up
  >recently, in
  > >response to reports that the two gasoline hybrids have not been getting as
  > >good
  > >mileage as they advertise.  My comments are below the four testimonials.

  <snip>