biobenz wrote:

>Doug;
>
>Of course it is not lost that the fact that you haven't run a virus
>checker leaves you in the absolute dark as to whether or not your PC
>is loaded with spyware/adware ect...
>How do you know? You could be the trap door to the mountains of spam
>that get sent via infected machines every day.
>The only reason we hear more about MS getting hit by hackers so much
>is because that's what the majority of the world is using. Linux or

And because they don't fix security holes.

>Mac are NOT immune to infection and should they become more popular
>they too would see the happy litte bugs showinig up in droves
>looking for a home.This not to say that they have not been targeted
>in the past, as they have, sucessfully, so to say that this OS or
>that is "better" and immune is a false sense of security that could
>end up costing you big time should one of these little mignons
>decide that seeing as how Linux and Mac users are so not looking for
>an attack that that just might be "fun" to hit next.

Linux distributions come with higher security by default. Windows still
can't get the multi-user security correct.

>The "better" solution is to invest the money the hackers have forced
>you to dish out and get GOOD anti-virus/anti-hacking software as
>well as spyware and adware removal software and be happy that you
>did it BEFORE you lost your hard drive to some "helpful" hacker.

The only antivirus software on my linux machines is to filter out
windows viruses from email attachments. Ask Keith about this.

>Personally I run Norton's Internet Security combined with Spybot
>Search and Destroy for spyware and Ad-Aware by Lavasoft for the
>adware and although many many attempts have been made at gaining
>access to my Windows XP equiped machine none have yet suceeded in so
>doing, thank God, although NO system is 100% ironclad shut to
>hacking we owe it to ourselves to make the job as difficult as
>possible and then the hackathons will simply find an easier target,
>such as one who isn't expecting them, like say, a Linux or Mac user
>who thinks he/she is impervious to them.

My system is impervious to viruses. Why? Because I know what's going on
in here, and I don't install junk software. I have never had a virus.

>The fact is, if you DO NOT run anti-virus checks then HOW do you
>know you aren't infected? Answer: you don't.
>
>Luc

I'm not. If you're running windows then you don't know.

--
Martin Klingensmith
infoarchive.net