From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Gustl Steiner-Zehender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, 27 May, 2004, 23:57:57
Subject: : Re: [WoodGas] Re: -----hydrocarbon cracking

==============Original message text===============
[Gustl, if you'd like to forward this to the Biofuel list you'd be
more than welcome. - K]

Hello Gustl

>Keith,
>
>When  I first joined the biodiesel lists I asked about deodorizing the
>glycerine but was told it couldn't be done.  Now this fellow, Marc, is
>talking  about  the  glycerine  being  used  for  all  sorts of things
>including  soaps which, in my view, wouldn't fly with the odor it has.
>Has  anyone  come  up with something I have missed and has a method of
>deodorizing the glycerine?

Marc's right, glycerine is a valuable product with many uses. To the
extent that the commercial soapmakers remove it from the soap because
they can get better prices for it elsewhere - for instance in the
form of skin softeners and so on to counter the effects of all that
harsh glycerine-free soap! Ain't capitalism wonderful!

But how valuable and useful it might be to us is another matter.

I've thought of deodorising the by-product by filtering it through
charcoal, but I never tried it because I think it's the wrong problem.

Note I said "by-product", not glycerine: generally we talk of the
by-product or the "glycerine cocktail". What drops out of a biodiesel
reaction is not only glycerine, or often not even mainly glycerine.
This is from our website:

"What sinks to the bottom of the biodiesel processor during the
settling stage is a mixture of glycerine, methanol, soaps and the lye
catalyst. Most of the excess methanol and most of the catalyst
remains in this layer."

And:

"A commonly asked question: How much glycerine do you get? A better
question would be: How much of the "glycerine layer" is actually
glycerine? The rule of thumb is 79 milliliters of glycerine per liter
of oil used -- 7.9%. In fact there's usually more soap -- the
"glycerine" layer is more of a "soap" layer than anything else.
Unless you use Aleks Kac's "Foolproof" acid-base two-stage process,
that is..."

-- From: Separating glycerine
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html#separate

If you do just that, separate the by-product into it's different
components as described there, you get three layers: on top, the
soaps, converted back into Free Fatty Acids (in making biodiesel you
remove the FFAs from the reaction by converting them to soaps, this
converts them back again); below that, a layer of glycerine, maybe
85-95% pure (this layer contains the excess methanol, which can now
be reclaimed for re-use); and on the bottom the catalyst, in the form
of a layer of sodium or potassium phosphate salts.

The important bit - once the methanol is removed, this separated
glycerine doesn't smell much. The smell goes with the FFAs. It's the
soaps in the by-product that smell, more than the glycerine.

Problem solved.

Or is it? Not really... You can't make soap out of glycerine. You can
add it to soap, but if the soap already contains the glycerine
content of the oil/fat it was produced from, it probably won't need
any more. There's an upper limit to the glycerine content of soap and
it's not very high - it's an alcohol after all.

Can you sell it? Yes, in theory - but in the US anyway, only by the
container-load, unless you find a special outlet.

If it were really pure, 99%+, you might have more luck, but that
means distilling it, and the boiling point is 290 deg C, 554 deg F,
needs lots of energy. Purpose-built solvent purification distillers
are rather expensive. It might though be worth putting this separated
glycerine through a carbon filter.

As for making soap with any of this stuff, not so easy. The
by-product as-is, the whole cocktail, is a powerful degreaser (remove
the methanol first), but not exactly a soap. Too alkaline, for one
thing, harsh, with all that lye still in there. There are people who
say they make soap out of it, and you can do that, but it's low-grade
soap, not something you'd want to sell.

The commercial soapmakers make soap out of Free Fatty Acids, but I
don't think you'd have much success on a kitchen or backyard scale -
you might get soap, I suppose, but again, low-grade, and, your
original problem, it'll smell of WVO. In the trade this stuff is
produced by deacidifying virgin oil to meet food-grade standards and
so on, it's called soapstock or foots, and there isn't a very good
market for it. It makes good heating fuel though (in a Turk burner or
something similar), and it can be used for pre-heating WVO for making
biodiesel.

The third layer at the bottom when you separate the by-product
cocktail, the catalyst, is probably the easiest bit to sell. It's one
of the reasons commercial biodiesel producers prefer using KOH to
NaOH as the catalyst. When you use phosphoric acid to separate the
by-product components, this leaves you with potassium phosphates,
which can be reclaimed and sold as chemical fertiliser.

The relative value of all of these options will vary according to the
individual operation, and they're worth exploring.

We don't use any of them, preferring to use the by-product as-is for
heating, complete with the excess methanol. We don't have a disposal
or recycling or resale problem with it, we use it all up.

>Hope  you  are  well  and  happy friend.

Yes thankyou Gustl, I hope you are too.

>You never cease to amaze me.
>Please keep doing so. :o)

:-)

I'll try.

Regards

Keith

===========End of original message text===========
--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
Mitglied-Team AMIGA
ICQ: 22211253-Gustli
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Stra§e liegen,
da§ sie gerade deshalb von der gewšhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin