Steven Pfaff wrote:
> I read  a post a few days ago about a problem with the fuel tanks on the
> early 80's Benz diesels, and I have some questions regarding this issue.  I
> am looking at buying two of four Mercedes-Benz 300D's years 1979-1983 (the
> '79 is a coupe and the others are sedans).  I suspect three of the four have
> been sitting a year or more.  I remember reading that something inside the
> fuel tank was flaking off and clogging the fuel system.  Is this the "actual
> inside of the tank" or buildup of some sort?  Is it uncertain what this
> material is?  Is it absolutely necessary to replace the fuel tank in this
> instance?  How long did your vehicle run before the problem arose?  Was the
> clog (obstruction) in the fuel line/hose, or in the filter?  I also remember
> reading that the fuel tanks were of some difficulty to obtain, but possibly
> only for certain models ie; wagons.  How much did you pay for the tank?
> Where did you get it?  Did you do the repairs yourself or did you go to a
> mechanic?

If something was flaking off, it was either rust or a coating on the
inside. In either case you should change the tank. A tank for an 80s
Mercedes is [I'm guessing] in the hundreds-of-dollars range, unless you
find a good source. Changing a fuel tank is a straight-forward
operation, disconnect everything, undo straps, put in the new one. The
sending unit may be rusting out if the tank is in bad shape.
I'm not the person you were looking for, but I'm trying to give you some
info.

Martin Klingensmith
http://infoarchive.net/
http://nnytech.net/