Hi Jerome, welcome

>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Jerome Mathevet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this group and would like to know if there's any french
>people over here who know if cooking your own fuel is legal. I ask that
>since you can't produce your own electricity in France (you have to sell
>it to the state company instead).
>
>Also, if any french has tips on where to buy cheap local
>chemicals/dessicants, I'd be glad to hear from them.
>
>Last thing, has anyone tried the foolproof method (by Aleks Kac) and
>replaced the methanol with ethanol ? What are the proportions relatively
>to the volume of oil/fat ?

One thing about both those items, neither the foolproof method nor
ethanol is for newbies. In both cases it takes experience. It says at
the top of the Foolproof page: "NOTE: The two-stage biodiesel
processes are advanced methods, not for novices -- learn the basics
thoroughly first. The single-stage base method is the place to start.
Start here."

Here being here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

There was a bit of discussion about this recently, please see these
two previous posts:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/35241/
Re: What went wrong?

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/35214/
Re: What went wrong?

Same thing with ethanol, only worse - see Lesson 1:

Ethyl esters -- making ethanol biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#ethylester

"Making ethyl-esters biodiesel using ethanol is a tricky process, not
as simple as making methyl esters with methanol. But it can be done
--"

"Biofuels mailing list member Ken Provost, who has much experience
making ethyl esters, sent us the following tips&tricks sheet.
"Ethanol-based Biodiesel
"1. Get plenty of experience making biodiesel with methanol before
you try it with ethanol. Get comfortable titrating your oil for FFAs
(free fatty acids); you'll need to do that when you use ethanol."

So, acid-base ethyl esters? Several of us are moving in that
direction, including me, but I don't think anyone's done it yet.
That's not only at the cutting-edge, it's beyond it. Attractive, yes,
sure, but definitely not for newcomers.

Best wishes

Keith