on 6/15/04 7:48 AM, Dan Fitzpatrick at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm very interested to learn how far we could go towards
> completely replacing fossil-fuels without sacrificing lifestyle.

Probly not very far. Check out "The Party's Over", Richard Heinberg.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail
/-/0865714827103-4126562-7176623?v=glance

I just bought 10 copies to give away. Not the definitive work
by any means, but everything has been brought together nicely
in one place, including a lot of history I never knew. He and
others make the case that our "lifestyle" is a petroleum-fed
aberration, and likely a good thing to sacrifice (or jettison)
as soon as possible, surely including much misery in the process.

-K