Biodiesel production was first invented in 1859, so there are no existing
patents on the overall process. It is in the public domain. Some processors,
such
as the continuous processors are patented, but you are not likely to use one
of them.   Some techniques are copyrighted, such as Aleks Kac's "Foolproof"
method. He can be approached for a license, but is often generous for small
producers and does not charge. Generally, there is no license required for
small
producers, backyard producers, and even startup business in any but the larger
scales.

Tom Leue