OK,so I redid the titration and made another test batch of 500ml. The
seperation was alomost instant (under 30 minutes), and then I let it
settle for 13 hours (the glyc stayed semi liquid,Ha!) and then I took
a sample of unwashed BD and the same amount of water in a masson jar
and gave it the heave-ho for about 10-15 seconds. In the past (with
another oil source) this would have resulted in emulsion big time that
wouldn't break for over a day or so, not good.
This time however I got seperation of water and BD almost instantly
with white milky water on the bottom and the murky BD on top with no
third layer of nothing.
One can only suppose that this is what Todd and Keith are on about ?
Kinda sounds like a rerun of what is posted at journeytoforever about
quality testing huh?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality. Anyway,
all that to say that it works out exactly the way described in the
link, so no need to compromise on good fuel when it can be had with a
little tweak of the process huh?
In my case I believe it had more to do with improper titration than
anything else. I believe that I was a little too impatient with the PH
meter and ended up putting in less NaOH than I needed to. Everything
was to the letter; good temp (55C), processing time (18 minutes), NaOH
fully disloved in the methanol safely tucked away in my Grolsch bottle
and added slowly as the mixing occured, good settling time (13 hours)
so now the next step is to do it with a larger batch. My processor is
being completed and moved to it's new home next week so then I will be
able to get at it. My preheat tank allows me to do smaller batches
easily and the collection pails I used measure out to 20 liters each
at the inner rim (I used a lab tube and measured it one liter at a time).
The one major question I have right now goes back to washing, :).
Seeing as how it appears that I now get it as far as good fuel goes (I
hope, please confirm) from what I understand bubble washing is good
for fuel that will be used soon, but if I plan on storing for any
length of time I am better served with a rotating pump to wash after
allowing for extended settling time ?
Both methods are fine with me as I am now set up to handled either,
the bubble wash being more set up that the rotating pump though. That
one still needs some brain power, so if you all smell smoke you know
what it is, me going short circuit, Ha!

Anyway, hopefully I am now on track and can get on with it.

L.