Erik Lane wrote:
> i would be worried about that glow plug getting too
> hot for sure! i think that they draw about 9-12 amps
> per plug, and that's a lot of current to go thru a
> dimmer switch. if it's a dimmer from a house circuit i
> suspect that it wouldn't hold up. that kind of current
> is equivalent to something like 1000-1500 watts load
> on a 120V circuit. (it's the amps that's the problem
> in sizing electrics, in case you don't know.) i doubt
> that a normal dimmer is rated that high.

Your typical triac phase-shaping dimmer will not work on DC, this can't
be what they're using.
If it turns out that they need a control, I could make a simple one.

> and if you want to see how hot a glow plug will get
> then you can hook a positive wire from the battery to
> the wire terminal and holding it in a pair of pliers
> ground the case to some bare metal on the vehicle. it
> doesn't take long at all for that thing to very
> literally GLOW! they get red and even white hot.
> according to this page:
> http://www.forparts.com/bosglowplugs.htm

120 watts on the small surface area of a glow plug is probably too much
for oil. I'm guessing about 30 watts would be decent.

Martin Klingensmith
http://infoarchive.net/
http://nnytech.net/