Hi Craig

>Hi chaps and lasses
>
>Why can't I use methalated spirits in my petrol engine?

:-) Ah, the good old days... That'll need a translation for some of
the list members. Petrol = gasoline, a spark-ignition engine.

>Is there any reason
>other than it been more expensive than petrol? When I looked at what makes
>up meths. I found out it contains about 90% ethanol and about 5% methanol.

It varies, depending on where you are, various denaturants are used,
including MEK, for instance. What's the colorant? Probably very
little of it anyway.

>Could I get away with using meths, could anyone answer this for me please.

Probably, yes, if the 5% methanol's all that's added. Methanol is
corrosive, and so is ethanol, though less so, and much is made of
that sometimes, mostly by the parties you'd expect to object. For
more info, see for instance:

Intensive Field Trial of Ethanol/Petrol Blend in Vehicles
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#ethanoltrial
A complete report covering all of the applications of ethanol in
gasoline, in new and used engines: ERDC Project No 2511 Intensive
Field Trial of Ethanol/Petrol Blend in Vehicles. This trial showed no
harm to any engines, and documented the benefits. This is the
Executive Summary, compliments of Apace Research Ltd -- 10 pages,
32kb Acrobat file.

Also see "The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol
Fuel" in the Biofuels Library.

There's a lot of info in the list archives.

See also:

Convert Your Car to Alcohol
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#drane

Ethanol and your car