Hi Bob

>Hi Keith,
>               Re the nitrogen issue:

Or non-issue?

>there is another way in which
>exhausted land can be rejuvenated. Crop rotation is the biblical method

Not just a biblical method, it's worldwide, impossible to say where
it originated - no single place would probably be the answer.

>whereby an area of land is left fallow each year and "rotated" year by year
>through a preset planting and fallow cycle (generally fallow every fourth
>year). The nitrogen level in the soil can be augmented with the planting of
>any legume or pod-bearer e.g. peas, beans, alfafa, lucerne etc. during the
>fallow period. Leguminous plants, such as the above, process nitrogen from
>the air and transfer it to their roots. In the case of peas, beans and other
>food legumens the crop is harvested and the roots and stalks left to rot.
>Non-harvestable legumes e.g.lucerne, gorse are ploughed in. In all cases the
>nitrogen rich roots are left in the ground where they decay rapidly and
>release their nutrients in time for the next year's crop.

Rotation of various kinds is an essential part of a sustainable
system, but on its own its not a very efficient way of rejuvenating
exhausted land, especially when it focuses mainly on nitrogen levels.
These are mainly green-manuring techniques; usually the plants are
ploughed in just before flowering, when there's a maximum of soft,
green tissue that's indeed nitrogen-rich, but has little or no effect
on the humus supply, nor its condition, which is much more important.
Weather conditions are suitable for humus-building by green-manuring
maybe once in seven years, and it's not a reliable average. Again,
leguminous plants do indeed "fix" atmospheric nitrogen in their roots
(and not the only things that do so), but the more fertile the soil
the more nitrogen they fix, and in poor soils it's often not very
much. Rich, fertile soils  also have hosts of free-living
microorganisms, e.g., Azotobacter, that do the same thing as the
rhizobia strains do with legume roots. Releasing nutrients in time
for next year's crop also isn't quite so simple. Again, it's not
simply a physical or chemical process. Most soils have two nitrogen
"flushes" a year, with large amounts of nitrogen made available to
plants by the soil microorganisms from the available resources, if
any (soil organic matter in various states). The art of it lies in
catching these flushes and capturing the nitrogen they provide in
growing crops.

All of this leaves out a more important soil process for plant
growth, mycorrhizal activity. See:
Trees and Toadstools by M.C. Rayner, 1945
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#rayner

"Simply put, in a healthy soil plant roots are invaded by a friendly
soil fungus; the fungus actually feeds the plant, and in return the
plant feeds the fungus the products of the green leaf which the
fungus is unable to make for itself."

At least it should be a more important soil process for plant growth,
but in soils abused by chemical fertilizers the vital fungi that do
the work are usually either dead or ailing.

Anyway, mere crop-rotation and green-manuring do little for
mycorrhiza. That needs humus-building.

Also, there's no need for the fallow, that's easily sidestepped.

Once you add livestock to the equation, especially grazing livestock,
it becomes a quite different matter. Now your "fourth-year" fallow
can become the most productive part of the whole cycle - and at the
same time it creates huge amounts of fertility, more than enough for
the next three years of crop production at least. This is called ley
farming - the temporary grass "ley" is the "fallow", used for heavy
grazing. The grass isn't just grass, it's up to 25 different
varieties of grasses, legumes, and deep-rooting herbs (aka "weeds").
The basis of this is the Clifton Park system developed by Robert
Elliot. You can read about it here:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/elliot/cliftonToC.html
Clifton Park - Contents

I'm currently scanning more work on this, especially work done at
Aberystwyth by George Stapledon.

You just won't figure this out if you focus on the mechanics of it
and the chemical nutrients, it doesn't work that way. This is from
our website:

"Ley Farming" by Sir R. George Stapledon and William Davies, 1948,
Faber & Faber, London.
Sow a piece of land with a good pasture mixture and then divide it in
two with a fence. Graze one half heavily and repeatedly with cattle,
mow the other half as necessary and leave the mowings there in place
to decay back into the soil. On the grazed half, you've removed the
crop (several times) and taken away a large yield of milk and beef.
On the other half you've removed nothing. Plough up both halves and
plant a grain crop, or any crop. Which half has the bigger and better
yield? The grazed half, by far. "Ley Farming" explains why "grass is
the most important crop" and how to manage grass leys. Leys are
temporary pastures in a rotation, and provide more than enough
fertility for the succeeding crops: working together, grass and
grazing animals turn the land into a huge living compost pile.
Stapledon draws on the work of Captain Elliot of Clifton Park, whose
work with deep-rooting leys was the culmination of hundreds of years
of development in grass rotation farming.
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_pasture.html
Pasture for small farmers: Journey to Forever

This isn't the only way of doing it, there are plenty of others, but
you can see from this why rotation and green-manuring alone might not
accomplish very much. That would be classed with the first of the
three types of organic growing: organic by neglect, low-input,
low-output, medium to poor quality produce. Not true organic growing
at all. Next comes organic by substitution, which uses the
industrialised methods but substitutes inputs of organic origin -
high-input, medium to low-output, medium to poor quality, also not
true organic growing. Then comes organic by design, low-input,
high-output, high quality. This is true organic farming. It uses the
kind of proactive management that prevents problems arising in the
first place, by dealing with the causes (eg poor, unbalanced soil),
rather than the symptoms (eg, the pests that attack sick plants grown
in poor soils). It's a bit like the kind of crisis management that
would deem the development of an actual crisis to be a failure of
management, or the military strategy in "The Art of War" that sees
the need to fight a battle as a failure of strategy, no matter who
"wins". Anyway, it's easy to do, and as Kim said, as millions of
people say, it's much less work. It's the method that's most
appropriate to the production of biofuels crops. It's true
Appropriate Technology in fact.

Regards

Keith