Hello Greg,
Methanol is CH3O [atomic mass 31 grams per mole] and ethanol C2H6O [46 g/M].
As you can see there is an oxygen atom in each molecule. Ethanol has
more energy than methanol because it has more bonds than methanol.
Plain old gasoline is just a series of carbon bonds such as C-C-C-C-C-C
[with hydrogen all around]
MTBE is C5H12O [88 g/M] which, as you can see, is much more massive than
either ethanol or methanol yet only has 1 oxygen atom.
Since mixtures are done by weight[mass], you could for example have 1kg
of methanol mixed with 9kg of gasoline (a 10% mixture). The mass of the
added oxygen would be approximately 500 grams and the oxygen would be
about 5% in the whole mixture. If you had 1kg of MTBE with 9kg gasoline
(again 10%) then the mass of the oxygen would be approximately 180 grams
and the oxygen would be about 1.8% of total mass.
So methanol would be a much better oxygenator according to my "chem 105
as I remember it" calculations. They very well could be off by +/-90% :)
Ethanol would be slightly less efficient as an oxygen donor.
So basically it doesn't matter what the eth/meth ratio is, any amount
will help.

Martin Klingensmith
http://infoarchive.net/
http://nnytech.net/

Greg Harbican wrote:
> In the last few days, I have been doing some checking, and I found that in
> 1990 there was experimentation into Eth / Meth alcohol mixes, that when added
> to fuel, would increase the O2 content of the fuel up to 3.7% ( better than
> 11% MTBE with 2% O2 ), decreasing associated pollutants.
>
> Does anyone have any information about these experiments and what the
> Eth/Meth ratio's are?
>
> Greg H.

> Biofuels list archives:

> To unsubscribe, send an email to: