Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MH,
>
> When I read things that Amory Lovins say about energy savings in
> residential and tertiary buildings, he normally make a lot of sense, but on
> hydrogen and fuel cells efficiency he is "way out". In best case a
> hydrogen/fuel cell vehicle have the same efficiency as a gasoline, but will
> in most cases have a lower efficiency. This if you start from energy
> source. EVs or even biodiesel hybrids beat the hydrogen/fuel cell with a
> large margin.
>
> Hakan

I'm generally supportive of what the Lovins' write and the Rocky Mountain
Institute
publishes.  But like Hakan (and Morris and others) I think Amory Lovins has
missed
the mark on hydrogen.  Most of the efficiency gains that Lovins postulates
arise
from the Hypercar's characteristics, not from use of hydrogen fuel or fuel
cells.
I really wonder if he has joined the hydrogen bandwagon to try to get more
exposure
for his Hypercar concept.

There are a couple of solid refutations of Lovins paper "Twenty Hydrogen Myths".
http://www.rmi.org/images/other/Energy/E03-05_20HydrogenMyths.pdf
(I see they have moved it again.  It's hard to keep links working to the RMI
site.)

My favourite:  John R. Wilson (at EV World)
http://evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=581

As always, more on the hydrogen economy at
http://www.econogics.com/en/heconomy.htm

Darryl McMahon

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?