Thanks to all for their help to me and so many others on this list.

Now I have 2 more questions...
1. If you are storing biodiesel in large quantities (500 gallons or more), do you need to have a vented container or not? The legal and practical answers would be helpful.

You need US federal and/or state specifics on that, I don't have them, though probably there's some information in the Extremely Useful Archives:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/
Information Archive at NNYTech

Probably the NBB is also worth checking.

2. If you wash your biodiesel, drain the water, and heat the washed biodiesel to drive off any excess water, are there any concerns about biodiesel fumes?

Some mild concerns have been expressed. Some people heat it to 100 deg C, 212F, I don't know why - waste of energy, all it needs is warming to 45 deg C or so, 113F, it hardly fumes at that temperature, if at all. Then let it cool, in a covered, vented container. If you can leave it in the sun so much the better - the longer it takes to cool the better. This doesn't settle the water content, it evaporates it, so you're not left having to drain from the top and leave the bit at the bottom.

Anyway there's no need to heat it unless you're in a hurry, longer settling times at each and every stage help a lot, and after draining the last wash it will clear on it's own. There'll still be water content, about 1,200ppm or so, but it's anhydrous to that extent - if you do get it lower than that it will simply reabsorb that amount. Does it do any harm? I think not - look at all the work being done with diesel-water emulsions to improve combustion and mainly to decrease emissions. Water in suspension and water in solution are different animals.

As for the fumes from hot biodiesel, I don't know how toxic they might be - certainly nothing approaching methanol fumes, and far less of them anyway. Since there's really no need at all to expose yourself to methanol fumes, isn't this a bit of a non-issue? I think of all the cooks especially in Chinese restaurants around the world standing over their woks stir-frying jolly good stuff, in many cases the "right" temperature is when the oil catches fire: MUCH hotter than you'll ever get your biodiesel when dewatering it.

HTH.

For whatever religious observance is appropriate to you... Happy end of December.

And to you Ross, thankyou.

Best wishes

Keith

Thanks again!