Hello Arttu,

Thank you for this information.

Peggy

Subject: RE: [Biofuel] ethanol for 2 cycle engines

Ethanol fuel is known to do 2 things in engines not designed for it:
corrode
rubber parts and draw water to itself from the air.

Manufacturers have taken the prior into consideration with oxygenated
fuels
(gasohol) becoming more widely used.  Your owners manual should say
something about it.  They might list a maximum ethanol content (about
10%),
but i think it has more to do with water accumulating in the fuel in
storage.  If the rubber can stand ethanol, it doesn't matter what the
ratio
is.

To avoid problems from the latter, make sure to use fresh fuel.  For
storage, empty the fuel system completely and oil the metal parts(the
tank,
mainly), or fill it with regular gasoline with a bit of stabilizer.

2-strokes seem to be a little more sensitive to lean fuel-air mixtures,
so
they require richer jetting with ethanol.  But if you're using stock
carburetor settings, leave them in, they're set rich just be safe, and
the
higher octane rating will tolerate leaner jetting without knocking.  If
you
really know what you're doing, you could advance the timing a bit to
take
advantage of the higher octane rating.

I have never heard of any 2-stroke oils being incompatible with ethanol,
use
them at a normal fuel-oil ratio or leave your oil injection at stock
settings.  Some use ethanol in 2-stroke go-carts, they might know more
about
the subject.

-Arttu