"We affirm that God-given dominion is a sacred responsibility to
 steward the earth and not a license to abuse the creation of which
 we are a part," said the statement, which has been distributed to
 50,000 member churches. "Because clean air, pure water, and
 adequate resources are crucial to public health and civic order,
 government has an obligation to protect its citizens from
the effects of environmental degradation."

This has been a long issue of contention among conservative Christians. The idea that God has given mankind "dominion" of the earth is often interpreted as a license to do with it whatever pleases humanity. I find this kind of interpretation very convenient, as it leaves out a very large body of scriptural evidence that we are obligated to steward earth's resources, rather than exploit them.

Another thing I find disturbing about recent trends in conservative political thought in the United States, is the repudiation of conservation; a principle long espoused by American conservatives going back at least as far as Theodore Roosevelt. It's sad that people who are so vehemently opposed to evolution, who decry the secular teaching in American schools because it detracts from the power God exercised in creating the universe, maintain such a cavalier attitude toward the environment they believe God made.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>