I don't believe that with the high compressions required of a diesel
engine it is possible to have a non-interference design. To get the
high compression there is VERY little space at TDC. I don't think
there is any way to design around that. If the valves were recessed
into the head then there would be more space underneath them.

The proportion of displaceable space (where the piston travels) to
non-displaceable (everywhere else) has to be very high (20:1 or maybe
22:1) to get this compression. That doesn't leave much of a
possibility to play with.

I don't think in this matter there's any way to blame the engineers. I
could be wrong, but I would be shocked to hear if anyone has any
evidence that a diesel engine was non-interference. (Tho come to think
of it, some of those lower compression super low rpm old time boat
diesels might be that way.)

Erik