Hello, all

I'm new to the list and am catching up on all the conspiracies so have
withheld comment up to this point.  However, I felt it necessary to jump
in here...

Tom,

Your logic on the river flows is .. Well.. Not logical.  If the rivers
drop to 1/3 their current flow once the glaciers have melted, then the
current flow is augmented by said glacier melt (2/3 of it, per your
argument) and is not a "normal" flow based on average rainfall and
retention time in aquifers.  Conservation of mass dictates this.  So
really what these poor people downstream are currently facing is flood
stage rivers due to glacier melt, to correct your argument.  But the
argument as a whole doesn't compute, especially if one accepts the
theorem that "global warming" is a relatively new phenomena... Say 30
years since the start of a noticeable effect?  I have no idea if that
guess is correct.

Another question, and maybe more to the point, is: Is the earth getting
warmer than usual, or are we exiting a mini ice-age and the temp is
returning to a more normal range when the last 100e6 or 100e5 years is
considered?  I sure don't know the answer, but do question when people
cry doom because the ice is melting.  FWIW, an ice-age can be
self-feeding at a certain point as the albedo of the planet increases
dramatically and thus the planet retains LOT less energy from the sun...
But... A warm-stage ecosystem is self-limiting (within limits, say at
temps below 451 F  ;) ) as co2 in the atmosphere gets pulled into the
biomass, thus increasing the radiation of energy off-planet.

Either way, and I believe this may be the point you wanted to push, I
agree that powerful countries will continue to exert more and more power
in more and more (probably paranoid) ways to protect their "interests".
Too bad there is no global organization that perfomrs the same duties as
the anti-monopoly laws require here in the US (yeah, I can't remember
the gov't org's name who usually blesses the buyout of one behemoth by
another)

Oh, and your timeframe is BAD, too.  To quote a random school web page
"The plankton that lived in the Jurassic period made our crude oil.
This was the time of the dinosaurs. It was about 180,000,000 years ago."
So you are off by a measly 800 million years.  I do believe we have a
decent idea of the continental configuration around that time, but am
not sure as it outside my sphere of knowledge.

Sincerely,
Rob Hepler
Dabbler in this-n-that