This could be very exciting news.  A few questions:

Are we willing and able to harness genetically modified E Coli to do this?
What is the environmental risk of creating and distributing this organism?
Is it something that could be used at a small-farm scale, or only at a large
plant?

1 billion tons of "farm wastes", sustainably produced - really?  Are they
"wastes", or do we have to decide between composting the material back into
the soil, or turning it into fuel?  If fuel, are we taking yet another
billion tons of organic material out of the system?  Nice to see the
sustainability analysis.

The header to this article says "replace half of all imported petroleum".
So if we (USA)import about 60% of 21 million barrels/day, let's say they are
talking about replacing 6 million barrels a day, or 2.2 billion barrels a
year, or 92 billion gallons a year.  The ethanol energy equivalent of this
would be more like 150 billion gallons - is it reasonable to get 150 gallons
of ethanol from a ton of crop waste using this (or any!) process?  Another
way to look at it - ethanol weighs 6.6 pounds/gallon, so 150 billion gallons
weighs 990 billion pounds or 500 million tons - so 50% by weight of the
input material must be converted into ethanol - darn good!

A few lines into the article it says "replace 1/2 of all automotive fuel", I
suspect that might be a different number than "1/2 of all imports".

Jack