Keith you are indeed correct, but if we qualified every statement
we'd never get done
On a medium/large scale of biodiesel production you have to assume
that negative/realistic attitude. It's one thing selling a few litres
to interested committed people like you and me. It's entirely another
selling it by the tonne to trucking companies. They have tight
margins, especially in UK. Unless their customer is prepared to pay
extra (and a very high percentage are not) you don't have a market.
Add in the issues about vehicle manufacturer warranty and the premium
price quality fuel market becomes very limited.

It would be good to start small selling product at a premium price,
but the start-up costs preclude that. We are effectively forced into
mid range production. A larger business needs a bigger market and
can't afford to be choosy.

None of this denegrates the fuel's environmental advantages and
cleanliness or the need to deliver top quality ester. But the
overriding factor is that the business has to make money. No profit =
no business = no biodiesel.

As for subsidies, of course you are right, petroleum is hugely
subsidised, but it's built into the established world order. USA has
already proved it will go to war to maintain oil supplies. Anybody
who believes US NMD "Son of Starwars" is not also part of that is
sadly mistaken.

We can't overturn the world order, but we can influence around the
edges. Campaigns for overt tax subsidies in individual countries are
part of that process. Whether they are actually higher or lower
overall than petroleum subsidies is unimportant. Bio subsidies are
visible, petroleum subsidies are invisible/carefully hidden.

Dave