The oil could be wet. Have you made sure it's really dry by boiling
to 120C. Or could it have any detergent in there?

If it's dry, try pre reacting the Crambe oil with sulphuric acid then
doing a normal base/base reaction on the mixture. The acid reaction
is not water tolerant.

Alecs Kak has a recipe posted on journeytoforever.

Dave

PS How did you deal with the local chemical plant, safety and
licensing regs or do you have less hassle with such things than we do
in UK/Europe.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Chuck Ranum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all.
> I and my associates have started a small recycling service.  We are
picking
> up all the WVO from area restaurants for free (their old service
used to
> charge them a fee.) and producing Biodiesel for resale.
> But, we have run into a problem:  A bankrupt crushing plant was
recently
> purchased near us, and we saved the new owners money by hauling
away over
> 10,000 liters of new oil that was littering up the warehouse.  In
the load
> was about 3,000 liters of Crambe oil, dated 1998 (unfiltered) that
seems to
> defy transesterfying!  Each of the 750 liter containers consists of
a top
> layer (1/5 or so) of thinner oil, and the rest a thicker goo.  One
Liter
> test batches at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, & 5.5 gram/liter of NaOH and
200cc
> methanol have produced the same results.  When the Sodium Methoxide
is added
> to the oil (100-115 degrees F) and mixed, the mixture turns a
mustard color
> and stays that color.  (New Canola oil turns the same color, but
changes
> back after 5" of mixing.)  After setting for a few hours the
mixture sets
> up, with a thick waxy layer on top, and a somewhat gelatinous layer
beneath.
> Remixing does not alter the outcome.  The NaOH and Methanol are
fine, as we
> go right on pumping out WVO based product every day.
> What stupid mistake am I making here?
> P.S.  There is a great market potential here, as we are selling
product for
> home heating and agricultural use, not on-road (taxable) use.
>
> ALSO, how difficult is it to purify the Glycerin?
>
> Thanks;
>
> Charles Ranum
> Triple-R Recycling
> Harvey, ND  USA