Soybean Digest
The Biodiesel King

by Sherry Collins

Soybean Digest, Jan 1, 2002

Grant Goodman doesn't grow soybeans, doesn't haul them, doesn't eat
them and he doesn't process them. He burns them. In fact, almost a
million bushels of them a year in the form of biodiesel.

As CEO of Rockland Materials, Goodman is the largest commercial user
of biodiesel in the country.

He operates a rock aggregate business and a ready-mix company in
Phoenix, AZ, moving 2 million tons of aggregate rock and 640,000
yards of concrete a year. He started his company four years ago with
one diesel truck; now he has 120.

For an unbiased test, Goodman secretly switched five company trucks
to run on biodiesel. After a week of no problems he switched five
more. Week three: All 120 trucks were running on B100, 100% biodiesel.

Every business is cost-conscious, but Goodman's conscience cost him,
and his business, $350,000. That's the price he paid in 2001 over and
above his cost for diesel fuel. The premium paid for B100 adds an
extra 20-60¢/gallon.

There's no subsidy and no tax credits. No reason to do it other than
it's the right thing to do. Goodman's devotion to clean air
underscores his devotion to his family - his wife and son both suffer
from asthma.

"It would nauseate me if I were running all these trucks and I knew I
could do something about our air quality and didn't," Goodman says.
"In trucking, we have a huge opportunity to impact the environment
positively if we choose to do so."

That positive action has created some positive reaction. "Mr.
Goodman's commitment to biodiesel reinforces many of the reasons why
it should be the fuel of choice for Americans," says Bart Ruth,
American Soybean Association president. "It reduces our dependence on
foreign sources of oil and is sustainable, homegrown and a secure
source of energy.

"The environmental benefits of the higher level blends, B20 and B100,
are well-documented," Ruth adds. "He is to be commended for his
proactive role in expansion of the biodiesel industry."

 From an environmental standpoint, Goodman had his point proved the
hard way on Aug. 29, 2001. A railcar carrying 28,000 gallons of
biodiesel for Rockland Materials derailed. The derailment caused an
uproar as the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality and local
emergency officials prepared to deal with a toxic chemical spill of
diesel fuel.

When officials realized it was biodiesel, the spill was quickly
cleaned up; basically being washed down the drain. Goodman lost a
railcar of fuel but "it just finally confirmed everything we've been
talking about," he says. "Biofuel is biodegradable and nontoxic. It's
less toxic than table salt."

The cost difference is coming down, and Goodman believes he'll see
better engine wear due to increased lubricity (see "Low-Sulfur
Solution," page 30, in our December issue).

Overall, he believes one man can make a difference. Anyone with
questions about using B100 can call Goodman at 602-508-8089.

© 2002, PRIMEDIA Business Magazines & Media Inc.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vf6MrB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM