Well, I was in Cuba in 1992 (Special period). It seems something changed. That
is good.

Regards

Reinhard

"Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Hello Reinhard
>
> >It seems the Cubans are sticking to their ideology, that everything
> >there comes from sugar cane.
>
> Well, no, not really. The link I gave came from this site:
> http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/cuba/sustainable/index.html
> Cuba Campaign: Eco Cuba Exchange
>
> Have a look at the Organic Agriculture and Natural and Traditional
> Medicine sections.
>
> >They have all the resources (climate, land, Jatropha) to grow oil
> >plants and the possibility to use it directly in truck engines
> >(IFA-trucks from former East Germany) without conversion.
> >
> >But nothing happens.
> >
> >"Progress is a snail!"
>
> They've made some quite extraordinary progress in some directions.
> Jatropha is an excellent oil plant, but no matter how excellent it
> is, I think a top-down, one-solution approach just wouldn't work
> there, and could be disastrous if that meant they abandoned further
> efforts at natural oils for fuel. It's a perfect set-up for the niche
> approach, highly localized, and that always means variety, options
> should have as much variety possible. They could probably succeed
> with this to the same spectacular extent they've succeeded with
> micro-farming and organics, which would be a real eye-opener for the
> rest of the world, as their organics success is proving to be. Even
> to Americans. But it requires an extremely localized approach, with
> local people fully involved in all the decisions, nothing decreed or
> imposed from above, except encouragement.
>
> Regards
>
> Keith
>

> >Reinhard Henning
> >
> >"Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> > > http://tlent.home.igc.org/renewable%20energy%20in%20cuba.html
> > > Renewable Energy Development In Cuba:
> > > Sustainability Responds To Economic Crisis
> > > April, 1997
> > >
> > > ... "Cuban annual per capita energy consumption has dropped to about
> > > four barrels of oil equivalent, half of what it was before the
> > > Special Period. By comparison, the U.S. uses the equivalent of 59
> > > barrels of oil per person annually."...
> > >
> > > This is somewhat out of date, and there's no mention of biodiesel.
> > > I've read elsewhere that recycling of waste oil and fats into
> > > biodiesel is at a high level, but I see no more about it. Does anyone
> > > have more info on this?
> > >
> > > By the way, there's a study tour to Cuba being organized on the topic of:

> > > Contact:

> > > This should include sustainable and renewable energy. If not, why not?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Keith
>

> Biofuels at Journey to Forever
> Biofuel at WebConX
> http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
> List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/

bagani GbR, Reinhard Henning, Rothkreuz 11, D-88138 Weissensberg, Germany
Tel: ++49 8389 984129, Fax: 984128, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
internet: www.bagani.de

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/9bTolB/TM