http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/20848/story.htm

Delight and dismay as Tokyo tightens diesel rules

JAPAN: May 21, 2003

TOKYO - Shoichi Hatsuyama pulls the oxygen tube from his face and
struggles for breath as he tugs on a pair of socks and a jacket for
yet another trip to the hospital.

Once a salesman and keen amateur baseball player, the chubby
53-year-old developed asthma 17 years ago and is now virtually
confined to his tiny apartment in Adachi, a shabby area of northeast
Tokyo, where he lives alone.

A lifelong non-smoker, Hatsuyama is one of more than 500 plaintiffs
pursuing the government and car manufacturers through the courts
claiming compensation for respiratory illnesses they say are caused
by vehicle exhaust.

Now Tokyo and its surrounding areas are planning to clamp down on
diesel emissions from October, a move that delights Hatsuyama.

"I welcome the regulations," he says. "I think they need to put more
restrictions on cars and stop building roads at such a pace," he
adds, slinging a heavy oxygen cylinder over his shoulder before
stepping outside.

Asthmatics may breathe easier, but the rules could choke many in
Japan's haulage and construction sectors, which employ over 10
percent of the workforce.

The battle for better air is a vote-winner.

Shintaro Ishihara, often cited as a potential future prime minister,
cruised to a second term as Tokyo governor in April after campaigning
with a plastic bottle of soot illustrating the type of detritus
finding its way into people's lungs.

TROUBLE IN THE AIR

Last week, the outspoken Ishihara wrote to Prime Minister Junichiro
Koizumi alleging his government had failed to live up to his promises
on pollution and threatening to sue.

Ishihara is considering introducing a fee for driving into the
capital, similar to London's "congestion charging" which cut traffic
by over 20 percent when it was introduced in February.

Air quality in Japan has improved dramatically since Hatsuyama was a
sports-mad boy. Emissions of sulphur oxides were slashed by 82
percent between 1970 and 1992, according to the OECD. Nitrous oxide
emissions were cut by 22 percent.

Restrictions on emissions from new cars are strict and Japanese
manufacturers are leading developers of hybrid and low emission
vehicles.

But diesel emissions cloud the air in major cities.

Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from
volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides. It is
associated with cancer as well as aggravating conditions including
heart disease and asthma.

"Gasoline costs about 100 yen (87 cents) a litre...diesel costs about
70 yen," says environmental consultant and university lecturer
Teiichi Aoyama. "Japan has kept diesel cheap for industrial and
business use. As a result, the number of diesel-powered vehicles has
grown enormously."

Tokyo seems to have fallen behind big cities in other wealthy
countries on particulate emissions, according to OECD figures,
although international comparisons are difficult because different
measuring methods are used.

CLEAN SWEEP

The city government hopes new regulations on diesel-powered
commercial vehicles will cut particulate emissions in Tokyo to 1,600
tonnes-a-year from 4,300 tonnes in 2000.

"Basically, if your vehicle does not comply with the regulations, you
must either buy a new one or fit a device that will bring it in line
with the rules," says Hiroaki Furuta of the city government's
pollution control department.

For example, 0.25 gm of particulate emissions per kilowatt hour will
be allowed for a four-tonne truck.

Owners of some older trucks will have to cut emissions by up to two
thirds or risk fines of up to 500,000 yen ($4,300) if caught by
roving inspectors, or by cameras to be set up on Tokyo streets.

The clampdown could help Japan's struggling truck makers. Analysts
say they will likely shift 90,000 large trucks this year, up on
76,000 in 2002.

But many small companies in the haulage and construction industries
may not be able to afford new models.

"I'd like to replace my vehicles, but that is difficult at the
moment, with the economy so bad," said Mitsuo Ozawa, who owns a
freight company based with 40 trucks in northern Tokyo.

The industry association says 70 percent of Tokyo's 5,000 or so
haulage companies are in the red. In some cases, the financial burden
of fitting filters or catalytic converters at up to 1.3 million yen
per vehicle could mean collapse, despite local government subsidies.

"I'll have to cut back the size of my business and see how it goes.
In the end, I may have to close down altogether," Ozawa said, before
pedalling away on his bicycle. ($=115.25 yen).

Story by Isabel Reynolds

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/9bTolB/TM