Hi Joey,

Keith's inspiring work on "JourneytoForever\Vegetable Oil Yields" lists the
quality standard  (RKQualitatsstandard) for rapeseed oil as being between
900 and 930 kg/m^3 and later, on the same e-page, he quotes  "Waste
Vegetable Oil as a Diesel Replacement Fuel" by Philip Calais as saying
Canola oil has a density 920 kg/m^3. (They are, of course, the same oil: It
is just that a "PR-savvy" marketeer in the US thought that the US-housewife
might well resist anything to do with "rape")

Our palm-oil here in Thailand normally has a density of about 910 kg/m^3.

Now because the US still doggedly clings to British Imperial Units with
some curious local variations, you will need to know that 1 ton US only
gets you 907.1847 kgs. So one US ton of palm oil has a volume of
907.1847/910 which is pretty close to 1 cubic metre and is very easy to
remember. Of course, if you really  want to use the quaint US volume
measurements too, then 1 cubic metre is about 264.17 US gallons or 6.29
barrels (bbl). A "typical" oil drum holds about 200 litres (52.8 US galls
or 44 ancient UK gallons) so you might expect to get 5 drums of cooking oil
to weigh just about 1 US ton.

However you look at it,

1) 5000 US tons a year would be about 500 drums a week and

2) The SI system of units has much to commend it.

Regards

Michael Allen

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM