We've been using KOH as standard for some time now, for similar
reasons (though we're not interested in fertilizers), and a couple of
others too. One is that it dissolves in methanol much more easily
than NaOH, and it doesn't "clump". "Methoxide the easy way" is very
quick with KOH:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html#easymeth

Best

Keith