/me rewatches Roger and Me

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Gustl
Steiner-Zehender
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:23 AM
To: Biofuel
Subject: [Biofuel] General Motors Layoffs

Hallo Folks,

I  am  an  old  Flint, Michigan boy.  I know that Detroit gets all the
press  but  Flint  is the home of Buick and Chevrolet.  My grandfather
began  working  at  the Buick factory in Flint in 1915.  He was in the
strikes  back  in  '36 and told me that the union went bad, became the
mirror image of management in '55.  But that isn't what this is about.

General  Motors is laying off 25,000 employees in order to become more
"competitive".   It  blames  its  employees  for the economic problems
citing wages, pension and health benefits.

Oddly  enough  there  is  no mention of building and promoting the gas
guzzling  monsters  it  produces.  There is no mention of the salaries
and  benefits  of  management  either.   Nothing about the bonuses and
benefit  packages  upper  management  receive.   Nothing  but a lot of
finger   pointing.     There  does  not  appear  to  be  an  ounce  of
responsibility  in  the  entire crew controlling things at GM, and for
most  other  companies I think.  They not only want to have their cake
and  eat  it too they want to eat from everyone else's plate and force
them to like it.

This  is systemic. The airlines are using bankruptcy to put the screws
to  their  employees  already. Worldcomm, Enron, the airlines, GM. We,
those of us in at least Michigan and Ohio, are going to get 25,000 new
McDonalds  workers  IF  they  can  find  the  work.  And  this  is the
capitalist  model  we want to force on everyone else in the world? All
take and no give? I am so tired of hearing things like, "These are the
realities  of  the  situation...",  "Our  profit  margin  is  not  big
enough.",  "The  problem is due to the high cost of energy.", "We have
to  impose  these wage and benefit cuts because...", and on and on and
on.

What  confounds  me  is  that  their  machinations  are  so  obviously
transparent  and so many people just accept what they say and go along
with  it.   Talk  about  cranial-rectal  inversion.   I  really do not
understand  how  we  allow  those  with  money and power to divert our
attention  by  setting one class/religion/race/country/economic system
or  whatever  against  another  and  thereby  control us.  Are we that
stupid?   If  we aren't then why, as we are being bent over and raped,
do  we  turn  our  heads  and  say,  "Please,  use  a coarser grade of
sandpaper."?   It  is all too apparent that the political and economic
powers  that  be  of  all  countries  are  not truly interested in the
welfare  of  the  world in general.  Neither the welfare of either the
entire  human  race or the world of nature.  The welfare they are most
interested in is the immediate bottom line.  How sad.

There  has  been  a  lot of talk on this list and others and among the
general  public (in the US) about our flag, our military, honor, duty,
etc.,  etc.,  etc.  Well folks, flags, all flags, are only bits of rag
which  are  worth  nothing.   None of them.  One flag is not worth the
life  of one individual human being.  Nor is the bottom line, or race,
or  nationality,  or  religion,  or  political persuasion, or economic
system or any other extraneous condition.

No  one  owns  the  truth.  Not the Christians, or the Muslims, or the
Jews,  or the Hindus, or the Buddhists, or any religious group, or the
philosophers,  or  the  economists, or the politicians.  No one.  Each
have  bits and pieces and snatches of the truth and many claim to have
and  own  the  whole thing but that is an illusion or an outright lie.

If  we  burnt ever single book in the world, bar none, every holy text
and  philosophical  and ethical treatise, everything, we would be left
with ourselves and what resides within.  What are we going to point to
then  for  justification  of our excesses?  Who are we going to blame?

There  are  some  things  which  appear  to defy logic but they really
don't.   We  just  don't  have  all the information even though we may
think  we  do  or  we don't understand what we are seeing or we aren't
seeing  it  because we're looking in the wrong places or for the wrong
thing.  One has to see the dots before they can be connected.  One has
to get beyond name and form to recognize substance.  It is a matter of
perception  and  association.    That  which  perceives  can  perceive
everything  it  is supposed to except...itself.  Simple, elemental and
oh so difficult to understand let alone own.

Friends,  we  are  all  one.  One race one world.  None more important
than  the  other,  none of more or less worth.  If we can't treat each
other  and  our  world  with  respect  then we are headed to hell in a
handcart and getting what we deserve.  The differences I have seen are
artificial  constructs and not worth spit.  Do others find it odd that
some  of  us  claim  that  God  or  the gods created us, our world and
everything  and  others  of  us  claim that everything came into being
naturally  through  evolution  but  what  we find important is not the
product  of  this  creation  or  evolution but that our own particular
understanding and beliefs are paramount?  However everything came into
being  how  is  it  that  the  product holds second place to the sales
pitch?   How  is  it  that  the  welfare of the whole shebang comes in
second  place  to hot air and speculation?  What an appalling state of
affairs.

I  am  amazed  that  we have gotten this far but have hope that things
will  come  out  right in the end.  Hope only, not certainty.  We have
demonstrated an amazing capability for screwing up a good thing.

Again, as always, my apology for my long windedness.

Happy Happy,

Gustl
--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
********
We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails.
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Straße liegen,
daß sie gerade deshalb von der gewöhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth

messages):