We have basically two arguments against nuclear power
in the referenced article. 1) It is a fallicy that
production of nuclear energy does not contribute to
greenhouse gases. 2) Nuclear energy takes so much
investment energy to get started that it will take 18
years before there is a net gain in energy and if we
consider dismantling the power plant after its useful
life and storage of contaminated material it could be
an energy negative.
My original comment related to the first argument and
not the second. I believe the second argument has
merit but I am skeptical of the figures.

> As for solar photovoltaic and its lifetime net gain
> or loss, this is the
> type of thing that should be discussed and labored
> over thoroughly,
> rather than just relying upon any "understanding."

Using the term understanding is just lazyness on my
part, in the past I have read several articles that
maintained that photovoltaics were a energy negative.
I have neither the time or inclination to do an
internet search for the exact figures.

> Same questions should be asked for nuclear, wind,
> hydro, geothermal,
> wave, hydrogen, etc.
>
> What is perfectly clear is that if the same
> lifecycle equation was run
> relative to emissions, coal and all fossil fuels run
> dead last.

You might call it hard math, but I call it
questionable statistics. "There a lies, damn lies and
statistics."

There are other considerations besides your "hard
math." The intermittent nature of wind and solar will
add to its cost both in loss of energy efficiency and
net "energy investment." People still need electricity
when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow.
Geothermal may be very nice but it is of no use to me
here in central Pennsylvania, nor is photovoltaics
because of the limited amount of sunshine.