Jon,

I'm here in Vermont too, are you anywhere near the Northeast Kingdom, I'd really like to get together with some folks in person to talk about this stuff. I'm running a Jetta-rator(Jetta powered generator) diesel of course, and I have an 82 Benz that loves the stuff. Right now I'm making BD in 10 gallon batches, but I'd really be interested in seeing your setup for SVO. If your interested contact me direct at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wildbill

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Mel,

Your fuel filter must be have no bypass ability, should be of the same micron as the original fuel filter for your vehicle and all of the fuel that is used should be pre filtered to a micron smaller than the fuel filter.

As an example my original fuel filter is 10 micron so my new filter for vegetable oil is 10 micron and all my fuel is pre filtered through paper then through a one half micron filter sock.  This assures my filter will last much longer because the filter clogging takes place over a 55 gallon drum, not inside my fuel filter.

There are filters for sale at:

and

Do not use an engine lubricating oil filter ............... most will bypass and allow gunk to flow to your injectors, use a fuel filter.  The secret to running on SVO is overkill on the pre filtering.  Depending on your climate there are heating options available on some filter styles.  I need all the heat I can get here in Vermont.  I like running SVO because I need no lye or methanol.  The gunk from filtering gets pot burned in my stove for cooking and heat.

Hope that helps.

Jon Normandin

Wildbill
Sutton.VT