Hello Pieter

Hi,
Is phenolphtalein the same as phenol red ?

No.

You've already got the link, below:

> > Basic titration
> > Better titration
> > pH meters
> > Phenolphthalein
> > http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#titrate

It says:

"Phenolphthalein is often confused with "phenol red", obtained at pool supply stores and used for checking water. It's not the same thing, and phenol red won't really do for titrating WVO, its pH range isn't broad enough. It ranges from pH 6.8, at which point it's yellow, through orange, to a maximum of pH 8.2, red. For accurate titration you need to be able to measure pH 8.5.

"Phenolphthalein is colorless up to pH 8.3, then it turns pink (magenta), and red at its maximum of pH 10.4. When it stays pink for more than 10 seconds, it's measuring pH 8.5.

"With good-quality oil with low FFA levels you might just get away with using phenol red for titration, but for higher FFA levels it isn't accurate enough. Use 1% phenolphthalein solution (1.0w/v%)."

Why don't you read the whole page, Pieter? Both pages:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
Make your own biodiesel

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html
Make your own biodiesel - page 2