On 25 Jun 2005 at 8:46, John Hayes wrote:

> You have the 'SVO destroyed my TDI' folks.
>
> And the 'SVO is just fine' pollyannas.

I went to the TDIclub site as well. I probably only saw a fraction of the
posts,
and what I saw made me realize that I didn't really do Mike's question justice
with my previous answer, so this will be long in an attempt to provide more
substantive info.

I researched WVO for a while and decided upon the Jetta TDI, which I bought
specifically with the intent of doing a WVO conversion. I chose the Jetta even
though the golf or beetle would have been more to my personal taste, because
the consensus seemed to be that it was desirable to isolate the WVO tank
from the passenger area because the tank is heated  - a hot metal tank of oil
being not the most desirable presence in a passenger compartment

There are a variety of systems and kits and ways that people have done these
conversions and I have no doubt people have ruined their TDI's with WVO. The
TDI has very close tolerances, also why it its such a high performance engine.
>From what I have gathered, gumming up the injectors with WVO is one of the
serious risks. Critical issues in the system then are well filtered WVO and
that it be HOT.

Just to clarify matters for any readers, a WVO system is a 2 tank system. Do
not ever consider just pouring WVO into your regular fuel tank - that will
destroy your TDI.

The system I have has :

a heated WVO  tank and fuel lines (the lines are heated by being bundled
beside a line filled with  engine coolant) ,

a filter for the WVO (which has already been prefiltered the remove the obvious
particulate  fryer gunk before being put in the tank) This filter should be
replaced approximately every 2000 miles,

and a PURGE switch.

The purge switch is a very important part of the system. It is used when
switching *back* to diesel from WVO. It pushes the WVO out of the lines and
injectors. If you purge for too long, you begin to suck diesel fuel  into your
WVO tank, but ithat's not really not a problem.

The *problem* in a WVO system *without* a purge function  arises because,
if the WVO is not completely cleared from the engine components ,  you will
begin to dump some WVO into the diesel tank when you shut off the car.
After a while, your diesel will be contaminated with WVO. The reason why this
is a problem is because your diesel tank is not heated and the WVO is too
viscous at "room temperature" to flow through the injectors properly. The
WVO must be at 190 degrees F to liquify it adequately.

I am not a car mechanic, and the above description is what I've gained from
online research  and conversations, and this was the data I used to decide
whether and what conversion I would do.

Hope this helps.

Lyn