I was curious about using vegetable oil as the engine lubricant as well. Apparently it has been looked at and the lubricity is great but the oil breaks down quickly at high temperatures.

There are good vegetable oil engine lubricants, especially in Europe. Try these:

http://www.sterlinggrade.com
http://www.renewablelube.com
http://www.gemtek.com/
http://www.terresolve.com/
http://www.soypower.net/
http://www.lubegard.com/
http://www.renewableoil.com/

Thanks for the links, Keith. I've also been thinking about replacements for petroleum-based motor oil lately. I maintain the cars for a small intentional community (13 people, 4 families). We currently put about 70,000 miles on our three cars each year. Two years ago, I switched one of them to synthetic oil with a drain interval of 25,000 miles or 1 year. (I'm actually doing 20,000.) The main advantage this has for me is that I save time changing the oil: once instead of four times in 20,000 miles. I spend slightly more on the oil, but the time savings easily makes that up. I've been very happy with the results and have recently made the switch with our second car and plan to switch the last car in the next few weeks. As I understand it, the base stock for synthetic oil could come from rotting vegetation. However, I have not found anything that indicates that it actually does. My impression is that they use the lightest gases from the petroleum refining process and work from there. Thus, while I have cut my use of petroleum motor oil to a quarter of what it was (and gained the performance advantages), I have not stopped using it entirely. Just the other day, I spent some time looking for a plant-based motor oil. The only one I came up with was Agro Management Group (http://www.agromgt.com/). They seem to have a 4-cycle motor oil, but they don't sell it on their web site. I have not gotten a response to my query. However, they recommend a 3,000-mile drain interval. From a time and materials point of view, they could be giving it away for free and it would still cost me twice as much to use that product as it costs me to use the synthetic oil because I would be taking the time to change the oil six to eight times as often. Additionally, while they emphasize the biodegradability of the product, I don't think I would be pouring it on my garden when I'm done with it. No matter what is in it when I put it in my engine, there will be toxic contaminants in it when I take it out because the engine will add small amounts of heavy metals from wear, leftover petroleum oil, blow by, other lubricants, etc. This means I still have to dispose of it responsibly, Also, I'd be getting rid of six to eight times as much of the stuff with all of the associated environmental costs of producing and delivering the product to my door. That does not seem like the environmentally sound choice. It seems to me that the vegetable-based products would have to come close to rivaling the change interval I'm getting now before I would want to switch for environmental or lifecycle cost reasons. I looked at the web sites mentioned above, but none seem to have a motor oil ready for 4-cycle engines. One (http://www.soypower.net/) seems to have a hydraulic oil (for my backhoe) available, but not through the web site.

John