Hallo Earl,

Sunday, 10 July, 2005, 21:41:03, you wrote:

Kac> Which  is  why  I didn't join the Libertarian Party, or any party
Kac> for  that  matter.  Everytime  I  look  up a particular political
Kac> party,  I  find something that I don't agree with. I think I will
Kac> just  stay  an  independent,  as  I have for the last 17 years. I
Kac> voted  for Badnarik in the last election because he seemed like a
Kac> better choice than Candidate R or Candidate D.

I  don't get mixed up with partisan politics and political parties for
religious  reasons  but  I  do  believe in keeping as well informed as
possible.

Kac> On  unions, it seems like the Government has enacted enough labor
Kac> laws  that  the  unions  no  longer  seem  useful. There are more
Kac> federal  and  state laws today (119 in PA stick in my mind from a
Kac> recent  HR seminar I went to) that protect the individual worker,
Kac> but  none that protect the employers. I am not saying that unions
Kac> aren't  worthy  endeavors, but the Government has taken away much
Kac> of  their  power.  Nowadays,  unions  are  really  just  good for
Kac> negotiating   rates  and  benefits  and  keeping  senior  members
Kac> employed.  I  think  many of those labor laws should be scrapped,
Kac> and  more  power  put  back into the hands of the individuals, or
Kac> groups of individuals (i.e., unions).

My  grandfather  went  to work for General Motors in 1915 I believe or
perhaps  it was 1919.  I don't remember exactly and he is long dead so
I  can't  ask.  He was involved in the 1936 strike in Flint (Michigan)
which  brought about the recognition of the union.  I remember talking
to  him back in about 1960 about the strikes and the union and he told
me that in the beginning the union was a good and unfortunately needed
organization but over the years it had grown more and more to resemble
the  bosses and it seemed to him now that the purpose of the union was
to  maintain the status quo:  keep the workers satisfied enough to not
strike  and  the  bosses satisfied enough to not complain and keep the
union  management  in  power.   He  even  gave a specific year when he
perceived  that  the  values of the union "leadership" became entirely
corrupted  and  that was 1955.  He told me that that was the same year
when  the  quality of the Buick and Cadillac had become so bad that "a
body  might  as  well  drive  a  Chevy or Ford" because they were less
expensive and the quality was the same.

Over  the years I have been a union member because it was required.  I
have  been  a  member  of locals affiliated with GM, Ford and Jeep and
with  the  IWW  as  well.   The  IWW  was  the best of them and it was
unsatisfactory.   The UAW locals were pretty much clones of each other
and  relatively worthless in any real sense.  The IWW wasn't great but
it is the only union I know of whose members held a strike because the
owners  were  trying  to  force  a  pay increase on the workers so the
bosses  could use the pay increase as an excuse to close the business,
get  rid  of the union and then re-open.  That notwithstanding I still
did not care for the IWW either.

The  employers don't need much protection from the workers.  They need
protection  from  the  government.   Had  the  employers been fair and
reasonable  there  would  have  never been a union in the first place.
The  salaries  and  benefit  packages of management run from generally
much greater than that of the hourly employees to obscene.  Admittedly
the smaller the company the less the disparity but how reasonable must
an  employee  be  then?   To  the  point  of near starvation or barely
scraping by?  You understand of course that I am not talking about mom
and  pop businesses now, eh?  And while I'm thinking about it just how
is  it  that  business  owners have the right to say that their profit
margin  is  not "great enough" but that employees don't have the right
to say that their wages are not great enough?  Somewhere in here there
needs  to  be  a  return  to reason and cooperation.  By the way Earl,
these  thoughts  aren't  directed  specifically  at  you they are just
rolling around in the empty space in my head.  Another by the way, the
union  example  was  just the first thing which popped into that empty
space.  There are similar examples all through the platform.

There  are  all  kinds  of ways for employers to get around government
regulations.   We all know that.  Age, sex, race discrimination?  Each
can  be  gotten around.  Perhaps not forever but generally they can be
avoided.  Shoot, I know places in Ohio which won't allow OSHA on their
property.   Rules,  regulations,  strikes  and slowdowns are no decent
substitute for reason and cooperation but...

Government  seems  to  be  in  the  business of defining and enforcing
morality  and  that  is where the rules come from.  Unions do the same
thing.  The problem is that they don't agree on the definitions and so
they both talk about different things using the same words.  A big and
nasty  circle.   Look  how difficult it is here on the list sometimes,
perhaps  often,  to  get  folks  on  the  same  page.    One  person's
justification  is  another  person's  reality.  And we're a relatively
reasonable group of folks generally.

It  is  a  question  of  balance  I  think.   Control and cooperation.
Salaries  and wages.  The individual and society at large.  Restraint,
responsibility,  discipline, cooperation, reason.  We're not there yet
but  evolution  is  slow.   We  just  need  to keep on truckin', bring
ourselves into line with what is right and good for society as a whole
which  will  be right and good for us since we are part of society, be
the  best  example  to  others  as  we  are able and to have patience.
Lennon was right.  All you need is love.

Happy Happy,

Gustl
Kac> Thanks for the info!

Kac> Earl Kinsley
Kac> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kac> ----------------------------------
Kac> "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
Kac> they are free."
Kac>  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Sounds quite contemporary doesn't it? :o)

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
********
We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails.
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Straße liegen,
daß sie gerade deshalb von der gewöhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth