> > Any of which can be replaced on an as needed basis. Terry's mechanic
> > should be a little more specific with him, rather than issuing a
> > sweeping and perhaps unsupported statement.

Perhaps I can shed some light on this topic, as I am an engineer at Cummins
Inc, and work in Fuel System Development.
Officially, Cummins supports Biodiesel blends up to B5 or 5% Biodiesel.
There are several concerns the company has with higher ratio blends.  There
are three major areas of concerns that the company has.  These are mostly
commercial concerns which will be evident as I explain them any of which an
individual could deal with by being aware and careful about what they put
into their tank.

First, while biodiesel is touted as being cleaner, there are some caveats.
While the particulate emissions (the ones you can see) are considerably
improved with biodiesel,  the NOx emmission will increase and the higher the
biodiesel ratio the higher the NOx increases.  Up to B5 the increase will
not likely move the engine's NOx emissions beyond the federal limit, but B20
and higher will likely move the NOx emissions "outside of the box".  Since
the US tends to hold the manufacturers repsonsible for the emissions of the
engines instead of the users the company must maintain a strict policy
against recommending or accepting fuels that will violate the regulations.

Second, biodiesel has a lower heating value than Petro diesel, therefore the
higher the biodiesel blend the lower the available power from the engine.
Most vehicles with B5.9 diesel are substantially overpowered so the driver
may not notice the 2% loss of power with a B5 blend, but it will become more
noticeable as the ratio is increased.  As I said many of the vehicles,
especially pickups are overpowered for the job they do, so you it would
likely not be bothered unless you are street racing or pulling a large
(heavy) trailer through the mountains.  But once again as a company Cummins
is in the position that if the sell a 305 Hp engine and the customers tend
to expect to get 305 Hp regardless of what fuel they chose to put in the
tank.

The third and more serious concern for us homegrown biodieselers, in my
opinion, is water.  Most tanks collect water, many vehicles are equipped
with water separation filters to protect the fuel system components.  The
problem is the biodiesel has a higher affinity for water than petrol diesel,
so the biodiesel is going to carry the water out of the tank.  Furthermore,
the water separators that are normally used will NOT extract the water from
biodiesel so the water gets carried into the fuel system.  Most modern fuel
systems are very sensitive to water.  The engine will run initially but the
internal fuel system components will quickly corrode which will lead to a
fuel system failure, and usually an expensive one.

The company is also concerned about the quality of the biodiesel coming on
the market.  They have a wide variety from some very high quality to some
very poor quality and currently there are no recognized quality standard
that the commercial producers are going by.

 There are other concerns with blending biodiesel with the coming Ultra Low
Sulfur Diesel (ULSD).  It has a few challenges to overcome but I will not go
into the details here.

With all that said, my personal observation (not the view of Cummins) is
that if you pay attention to what you are putting in your tank qaulity wise.
You make sure that it is dry.  Then you should not have any problems with
the fuel system of the age mentioned.  The timing does not need to be
changed in order for the engine run, however you will be producing more NOx
than you were with petrodiesel.   You will likely see degradation of non
metal lines in the fuel system and you have to replace all of them at some
point.  Return lines are probably the first ones you will notice.  I believe
most vehicles run steel lines for the supply lines from the tank to the
engine.

I am brewing my own biodiesel and running it in my 94 Cummins 5.9L diesel
and I intend to eventually run on straight biodiesel.  I know the risks and
will watch things carefully.

I hope this helps

Doug