http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/31687/story.htm

Australia Looks to China to Double Uranium Exports

AUSTRALIA: July 18, 2005

SYDNEY - Australia wants to double its uranium exports if it can reach a safety agreement with China, which is increasingly turning to nuclear power generation, a senior government minister said on Friday.

Australia, which has about 40 percent of the world's uranium but only mines a fraction of the metal, restricts exports to 36 countries that have signed bilateral nuclear safeguards that ensure the uranium is not used to build weapons, Ian Macfarlane, resources minister told reporters.

"We're confident we can conclude those discussions and negotiations with China in the next 12 months and on that basis, you could see a huge market open up," Macfarlane said.

"China has the potential to absorb all our current exports, so you'd see exports double in Australia if we were able to get a good share of uranium exports into China."

Australia exported 7,765 tonnes of uranium in 2004 worth more than A$410 million ($308 million).

"It'll be late this decade that we see this become an option," Macfarlane said.

Private companies in Australia operate three uranium mines, which are owned by BHP Billiton Ltd./Plc, Rio Tinto Ltd./Plc and General Atomics of the United States.

But China is not the only country looking to Australia for uranium.

Energy-hungry Chile wants to develop its own nuclear power industry to meet future needs, Chilean President Ricardo Lagos said at the end of a trade visit on Friday.

"I know this is a sensitive subject but in the area of energy it is necessary," Lagos said.

The Latin American country of about 15 million people relies on hydro-power for about 70 percent of its energy needs.

Uranium prices have more than doubled, in step with higher oil prices, as nuclear energy emerges as an alternative energy source to fossil fuels.

Lagos said Chile will need to double its power requirements over the next eight years if it is to keep pace with economic growth projections.

Australia is the world's number two exporter of uranium after Canada. BHP Billiton's one lode alone holds about a third of the world's known reserves.

A new generation of safer nuclear power plants and high oil prices is improving the outlook for uranium miners after years of depressed conditions as nuclear energy wallowed as an environmental pariah.

($US1=A$1.33)

(Additional reporting by James Regan)

Story by Tom Sturrock

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE