the odds are definitely in his favor.  look at what happened to that other
long-time close friend of bush's whose name (we won't mention it) is synonymous
with the big scandal of bush's first term.

and even if he is prosecuted, he has the precedent of that other leaker's
plea-bargain.  so he goes to club fed for a year, then gets out and writes a
book
about how enduring house arrest on his estate is even worse than prison.
that is, if dubya hasn't pardoned him in the first place.  is this country
great
or what?

it's not really about that, though.  they all know they've got no reason to
worry about their personal security.  it's such a big story because it
supposedly might signal the end of the republican party's hegemony because in
the
people's eyes they've 'gone too far' or 'gotten too arrogant.'  perhaps.  but
they
aren't really worried about that either.  they've achieved their goals; the
damage is already done.  they can all retire to the private sector, richer than
god, and spend the rest of their lives laughing their asses off as they
undermine efforts to repair the damage they've done.

-chris