Tom Irwin wrote:

Hi Mike,
Don´t worry you´re not going to burst my bubble. Mid term elections are coming up. I really hope the Republicans try to pass it before those so they can get clobbered in the House. Trying it after the mid term elections offers a bit more politically cover but then they lose the house, senate and presidency together. No amount of spin is going to make the baby boom generation forget Viet Nam. Those who didn´t go, got to see it on TV and watch their friends come home messed up in some form or another. Some of them actually realize that Nixon et. al. tampered with the peace process in 1968 and extended the war by four more bloody years. Every name on The Wall after 1968 didn´t have to be there. Everyone injured after 1968 could have gone home mostly whole.

I think our National Icon Mr. Kissenger was actually the architect of that deal...

Even if all of the senators and congresspersons line up their own kids first (not f**king likely), nobody will willing go so Bush, Cheney and the other chickenhawks can get rich on oil. They´re not going to send the kids or grandkids into that kind of stupidity again. Can you imagine the image of police in riot gear teargassing a bunch of grandpas and grandmas. We´re not too far away from critical mass on the casualty side. 1500 dead for nothing is shameful enough. They can keep the pictures of the flag drapped caskets from view but it´s really the wounded they´re going to have the most problems with. You can pretty much calculate that half of those 11,500 have been horribly maimed or burned. Bombs and booby traps do that kind of thing. Someone is going to get their story out with words and pictures, win a Pulitzer and put an end to this incredibly, greedy stupidity. Have a little more patience. Sting sang it during the Reagan administration, ¨ The Russian´s love their children, too.¨ You think Americans don´t?

I guess I'm a natural pessimist. The problem with democracy is that you get what you vote for. The other day I saw a picture of a grieving family at their soldier son's burial. Framing the scene to the right was their full-size SUV with a "Power of Pride" and a "My son is fighting for our country" (or similar) sticker on it. I wondered if the photographer did that intentionally?

I think you'd be surprised at how many people just unquestionally follow the president. Most of my extended family is in the Midwest and they are completely in favor of Bush et al. What amazes me is how you can go from a cloth-coat Republican to a Neocon in 20 years. There is *no* Rebulican party anymore. Todays Democrat is a Republican from 1950.

-Mike

Tom Irwin