Oh boy I bet you all couldn't wait to hear what my next stupid question will be.
I also ain't no chemist, very few of us are chemists, but we can learn, and do.
When I read this from Keith I just had to speak out again. Thank goodness. I was beginning to feel like everything you all talk about is over my head, at the very least at the peripheral of my understanding. So far, with this group I feel like my mind has been stretched every day with every email. It has been very humbling to say the least.

So here is my question.
What is your (anybody) favorite biofuel?

I realize that a favorite might be totally regional. What works best in one place may not be feasible in another.
I came to this group because I was interested in converting small diameter Ponderosa Pines into a fermentable feedstock because that is what we have an abundance of here in New Mexico. Not so much farming going on here as we are at 7500 feet above sea level and the growing season is short.

We have our hearts set on fermentation and distillation and the last couple of links like this one:  http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distil0.htm give us hope. I promised my Dad last night as I returned to the ranch from my weekly think-tank beer swilling meeting that I would send him that link again because he is a scientist, a chemist to be precise.

I am interested in what you do, what is easiest and what works the best.

My parents live 500 hundred feet from our house here on the ranch. I know that distance because we dug the waterline by hand. Anyway I have been forwarding information from you to Dad daily just to bounce ideas off of him. Coincidentally, day before yesterday he lent us Lifting the fog: the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, a documentary. My Dad is pretty cool, I know. Anyway I got into a heated discussion with Dad who is 87 and I fairly drunk. Still I recall telling Dad that one of the threads you all discussed to my satisfaction was just this topic. Mom was losing patience with the conversation and tells me my wife is waiting out in the car. I said I know I better go. When I got outside she was gone. Hey but like I said it is only 500 feet.

Brian Rodgers