> His main argument seemed to be against losing the energy in the methanol
>that was washed out

Why "wash" it out? Why not evaporate it and recover it, even as small a value as it is, rather than flush it with the wash water?

I'll leave the energy and bio-accumlation numbers to the slide rule folks, but in an efficient setup, the energy used to recover the methanol from the biodiesel fraction can be used to raise the temperature of the feedstock for the next batch to the reaction level.

Presume you have a 160* evaporation temperature and the incoming feedstock is 70*. In a perfect world half of that difference can be transferred to the incoming oil, raising it to 115*.

Go one step further when drying washed fuel, which may have a pre-dried temp of 70*F. The diff between 115* and 70* would raise the fuel back up to approximately 90*.

The wash water is not waste, when all is said and done. It's irrigation. Recover the soaps by using aluminum or magnesium sulfide (epsom salt), which converts the water soluble soaps to non-soluble greases. These have an energy content that can be recovered in a solid fuels boiler. Or, you can grease the axles of your Sunday-go-to-meetin' buggy.

The water can then be applied as gray water irrigation. The sulfur content would have to be monitored. But there are crops that tend to rather like sulfur to a small degree.

At the same time the recovered catalyst (converted to fertilizer) can be diluted and dispersed with the gray water.

That leaves only the glycerol, either to sell or disperse with the treated wash water, as the recovered FFAs are returned to the acid cycle or used as boiler fuel.

Todd Swearingen

skapegoat wrote:

I did notice that a lot of the chemistry in the book was wrong.
His main argument seemed to be against losing the energy in the methanol that was washed out. He does recommend not using BD with certain types of tubes, as the methanol will destroy it. I am certainly planning on washing my BD, I just wonder if he's had any problems in the ten or more years he's been making his without washing it. I know about the chemical equilibrium, and not to try to remove methanol until the layers are seperated. I'm just wondering if Tickell is so worried about wasting the methanol by washing it out if there is a better way of retrieving it without worrying about leaving all that other garbage in your BD.

*/Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    Greetings the skapegoat

    >The JTF website strongly recommends washing and the Josh Tickell
    >book seems to suggest it isn't necessary and possibly even
    >detrimental.

    Bad book! See:
    http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/31729/

    You might also note that the JtF website says why it strongly
    recommends washing, with a couple of references provided (there could
    have been plenty more):

    http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html#why
    Washing: Why bother?

    IIRC Joshua Tickell provides one obscure and outdated reference. Rudi
    Weidegger of FuelMeister fame (or infamy), who Joshua's since teamed
    up with, also recommends no washing and says it's bad for your motor,
    with no references, but then he doesn't provide a washtank in his
    exorbitant set-up.

    Ho-hum.

    Anyway, to believe that you'd have to believe that all the national
    standards are based on nothing. Some people do seem to believe that.
    That's their business, as long as they keep their crappy fuel to
    themselves.

    >I'm interested in some insight on this difference of opinion. I'm
    >sure most experienced biodieselers here wash their biodiesel.
    >
    >Would it be worthwhile to distill the methanol from the biodiesel
    >instead of just washing it away?

    The most convenient stage to reclaim the excess methanol would be
    immediately after the processing, when the mix is still hot.
    Unfortunately that means you reverse the very reaction you've just
    completed (hopefully completed). You have to settle and separate the
    glycerine by-product first. Most of the excess methanol is in the
    by-product; the small proportion in the biodiesel can be recovered,
    if you can find an economical way of doing it.

    >I know this still leaves excess hydroxides

    And soaps.

    >that still need to be washed out, but it might reduce the number of
    >washes necessary

    Doubtful.

    >and you might be able to save some of your methanol.

    Indeed.

    Best wishes

    messages):