Hello again Doug.
The forming of FFA in the presence of water is an auto-catalyst process,
meaning that the more FFA:s there are, the more rapidly the further
production of FFA:s. This is due to the fact that this is an acid-catalyst
reaction which will continue for as long as there is water present in
adequate amounts. The FFA and water values are in general higher at the
bottom of the vessel, the other way around at the top.
WVO often contains detergents because the cleansing of the frying oil
vessels at the restaurants or factories is done with detergents and water.
Some people pour this stuff into the used oil. The best way of avoiding
this, is of course to let the WVO supplier know that the detergent -
containing WVO is of scientifically less value, since the detergents are
contaminations and cause a great deal of troubles.
The other way of dealing with this is to vacuum -evaporate the WVO at 90oC,
where the emulsions should break up.
The third way is to reduce the water content and react the WVO in the normal
way, adding further washing sequences and expecting a lower yield of
biodiesel than usual.Any soap formation can be scattered with acid
treatment.
IPA is a good solvent for titration, unlike methanol or ethanol, which are
hardly soluble in oil.
I think you have a good base recipe. Do not change it, before you have
examined the quality of your raw material. The solution to your problems is
most likely to be found there.
With best regards
Jan Warnqvist
AGERATEC AB