Hello Jeff

>Dear all,
>  Need help in this process.  I have read about this procedure and
>followed it exactly as it said in the JTF.

Uh-huh... Sorry, I get a sinking feeling when someone says that.

>I even bought a digital pH meter to make my life easier but this
>proved otherwise.
>  Putting the pH meter into oil

Why did you put the pH meter into oil? What oil?

>the reading does not stop moving, it take minutes to accertain
>whether the pH meter has stopped at a correct reading.  Thereafter,
>when we titrate it,

So you titrate it *after* you put the pH meter into oil?

>the pH meter goes "wild" again.  Is there any better way to read the
>pH.  I think all my titration results is as "wild" as the pH meter's
>reading and that will make my process "wild" as well.  I am trying
>to get the pH reading at 7 +_ 0.5

Why? Where in the titration process do you have to get a pH reading
of 7 +_ 0.5?

>  From what I read, this should not give us too much of a problem.
>Right? Any other suggestion on this titration process?

Well, you say things that wouldn't be included in following the
titration procedure exactly as said at JtF.

Some people say don't use a pH meter, throw it away... and then the
same people say you can use phenol red instead, though it only goes
to pH 8, not the required pH 8.5. At JtF we say use either a pH meter
(preferably a good one) or phenolphthalein, though we prefer the pH
meter and we say why, along with a further explanation from a list
member.

One reason these people say a pH meter is "useless" is that they
claim you can't measure the pH of oil or biodiesel with a pH meter
anyway because a pH meter can only measure an aqueous solution. Yes
you can measure the pH of biodiesel with a pH meter, if it's a
special one, and in some cases it doesn't even have to be a special
one. This is also explained at JtF. There are also directions on how
to use and maintain (and callibrate) a pH meter. Anyway the oil
you're measuring in titration IS an aqueous solution, or an aqueous
mixture anyway, since you're adding 0.1% NaOH (or KOH) solution to
the oil-isopropanol mixture, and the other 99.9% of that solution is
distilled water.

Anyway, nowhere does it say that in titration you have to put the pH
meter into oil, nor that you need a reading of pH 7.

So I'm afraid I haven't a clue what you've been doing, so I can't say
anything about your results.

Maybe you should start again:

Biodiesel from waste oil
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodwvo