Hi,
 I actually answered this before....

 When you operate the lever, 1/2 the magnets turn over, effectively short
circuiting the magnetic field (ie every second magnet flips over). When the
lever is in the lock position, all the magnets line up to send the field
through the workpiece. It only takes a small amount of effort to operate the
lever, because the magnets pivot, effectively cancelling the pull of the
field.

regards Doug