No, That would be MMT, a manganese based octane improver used instead of lead.  It has less harmful effects than lead, but is still bad.

Cheers

Fred Enga
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Joe Street
Sent: August 30, 2005 6:36 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Query on MTBE

I remember hearing something about toxic fuel additives here in Canada years ago.  The story was basically that an additive was known to be harmful and present in exhaust emissions (or some harmful byproduct of combustion of the additive) and it was still being used and the manufacturer was aware of it but declined to comment.  The company was Ethyl corporation.  I just checked their website( http://www.ethyl.com/Operations/index.htm ) but they don't say anything much other than listing gasoline performance additives as a product.  Is it MTBE?  does anyone know?

Joe

subramanian D.V wrote:
Thanks keith, I raised the matter as the petroleum marketing companies are introducing slightly costlier petrol with brand names "extra mile", "speed petrol" and "premium petrol" etc. the distributors are unable to say what is the additive. The marketing company websites are equally vague. And now a reputed marketing company imports a huge qty of MTBE , the value added petrol is suspect and the citizens must know the hazards associated with it.

Regards

Subramanian

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Subramanian

Not of direct use, like Juan's reply, but this might be useful -
factsheet and other resources on MTBE as an oxygenate additive:

http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_mtbe.html
MTBE Fact Sheet

Best wishes

Keith

_______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/