No,
We used  various mixtures. Some times
sodium nitrate, sulfur and sugar.
Amonium nitrate, aluminum powder, suga, charcoal.
You melted the sugar and added powdered sulfur and the nitrate after it had
cooled
down but before hardening. If you added the nitrates when the mixture was too
hot, the whole mess
 would ignite in a massive smoke b-*b. Then it was compacted into cardboard
tubes. Add other
varoius powdered metals and chemical spheres and you have fireworks. You can
fire them with
a simple 12 vdc launch pad or potassium permanganate and a drop of glycerine
automatically ignites
when mixed.

regards
tallex