Hello Doug

>Presumably they could be used for celulose to alcohol processes.

More like biomass energy I think, and Fischer-Tropsch fuel:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg09335.html
Re: [biofuel] VW presents new synthetic fuel strategy

>I wonder about the invasiveness of miscanthus.

You might find something at these databases, though I think
invasiveness is often a synonym for bad management:

NewCrop SearchEngine at the Center for New Crops & Plant Products at
Purdue University -- Search for "oil". Results: "The following pages
containing 'oil' were found -- hits 1-20 of 200". Results are
hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/SearchEngine.html

Plants For A Future -- Database Search -- See "Search by Use - Select
any of the following uses. Or select none and use the plant criteria
below." Select "Other Use" - oil. Results: "Other Use: Oil (460)".
Results are hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

>Thanks to Lawrence F. London on the permaculture list.

His website:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/
EcoLandTech

Best