Howdy Tom, I am surprised that the method works at all.  There is a
fundamental problem with the pKa's of ethanol and methanol.  the
equilibrium

   KOH + EtOH <-->  KOEt + H2O

favors the left side of the equasion

whereas for methanol

    KOH + MeOH  <--->  KOMe + H2O

favors the right side.

   The only way I know it would work is if you generate the KOEt via an
alternative route as I suggested before.  Use K, KH, or dry the ethoxide
mixture via azotropic distillation.