The problem was that the engines
> were not in a vehicle but in a test stand and actual numbers were not
> verified.

This is one of those special cases where the engine only has to move
it's own weight, via a weightless, frictionless, 100% efficient
drivetrain I guess.  Man, I've wanted one of those for years....   My
running shoes theoretically can run a marathon every morning too.  The
only problem is that they're on my lazy feet in the office and have to
move me around.....

If they were grams per horsepower-hour numbers, or kWh per BTU or
something of those units from the fancy vaporizing carbureator or
different fuel mixtures or additives, I could at least believe that a
serious test was done, but the fact that they translated whatever real
results they got, via weegey board numbers for rolling resistance,
drivetrain resistance, air resistance, etc...  into some "estimated"
miles per gallon, is what makes me think that they were just made up.
If they assumed the same rest-of-vehicle efficiency as the existing
carbureated car (about 20mpg tops), then we have to assume that they
measured 5 times the engine efficiency, which I can't believe.  If
they assumed a different car, then what were those assumptions?

By the way, I also saw claims that the plug-in prius can get 120mpg or
more -- because of course it is largely using stored electricity for
the first 20 miles.  Another case of someone failing elementary
physics and not doing an energy balance on the system.  If some new
"invention" or breakthrough can't pass this basic test, I usually
automatically dismiss anything further, whether it's my area of
expertise or not.  Because I DO understand the first law of
thermodynamics.  It's darned annoying at times, but I haven't found
away around it yet.....