-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mike Weaver
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 3:42 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] windfall tax on big oil

Fight back - don't buy a gas hog.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- A majority of Americans
are convinced they're being gouged at the gas pump,
and many support a tax on oil companies' profits to
fund research into alternative energy sources, according
to a new survey.

Derick Giorchino wrote:

>Have no fear big brother will figure a way to filter a large % or possibly
>all of the revenues for some new pay hike or something stupid. Something
>like social security or road tax on California fuel doesn't go where it is
>designated.

Alt.EnergyNetwork
> [...]
> U.S. drivers, while 70% support the tax to fund wetlands
> restoration in the Gulf Coast to lessen damage from future
> hurricanes. (The survey offered only those three possible
> purposes for the hypothetical tax revenues.)
>
>Confluence of factors
>
>Consumers' cry of price gouging, and apparent willingness
> to embrace alternative energy sources appears sparked by
> a confluence of factors, said Pam Solo, president and
>founder of the Civil Society Institute, in a telephone
>press conference.
>
>"There are several strains of concern converging for people,"
> she said, including steeply higher gas prices, the U.S.'s
>reliance on foreign oil, and global warming.
>
>"Americans have seen ... too little action from Washington
> on energy prices, fuel-efficient vehicles and the dangers
>of too much reliance on foreign oil," Solo said.
>
>And oil company profits aren't helping consumers feel warm
> and fuzzy, she said. "We all know somebody is getting quite
> wealthy over the dilemmas and troubles we're facing as a
>country," she said. "We should be able to share in those profits
> as a society to have greater control of our destiny as a country."
>
>Meanwhile, 81% of those surveyed agreed with the statement that
> the federal government isn't doing enough about high energy prices
> and U.S. dependence on Middle Eastern energy sources.
>
>Broken down across political parties: 74% of Republicans agreed
>the federal government isn't doing enough, as did 90% of Democrats
> and 83% of independents.
>
>Let's go hybrid
>
>When asked whether domestic car makers should follow Toyota's lead
> by including hybrid technology in all new cars going forward, 80%
>of consumers agreed, according to the survey.
>
>Eighty-six percent of Democrats agreed domestic makers should focus
> on hybrid technology, as did 73% of Republicans, and 80% of Independents.
>
>The visible success of hybrid cars may be leading more consumers
>to see alternative technologies as one part of a solution to the
> problem of high gas prices, Solo and her colleagues at the Institute said.
>
>Support for hybrid technology was strongest in the West, with 87%
> of consumers saying car makers should pursue all-hybrid fleets,
>compared with 82% in the Northeast, 79% in the Midwest, and 77%
>in the South.
>
>Some consumers also support the idea of higher fuel-efficiency
>standards for regular cars, with 48% of those surveyed saying
>recent gas price hikes make it "much more important" that the
>federal government take steps to require higher fuel-efficiency
> standards.
>
>Twenty-four percent said gas costs make it "somewhat more
>important" that the government address fuel-efficiency
>standards, but 19% said higher gas prices should have no
> effect on the government's approach to fuel efficiency
>standards, according to the survey.
>

>Andrea Coombes is a reporter for MarketWatch in San Francisco.

messages):