From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Tom Irwin
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: [Biofuel] New question on oil seed crops and ley farming

Hi Keith and all,

You mentioned in a previous thread that you liked castor beans as an oil seed crop. That makes some sense given yields and iodine numbers but if one is attempting an animal/oil seed mix then castor beans aren't edible are they? Perhaps I read something wrong on JTF. I was planning on planting rape seed and after harvest utilizing pigs to clean up and fertilize the field. I was also hoping I could feed the pigs the seed hulls after oil extraction.  Is this a bad idea or are there better crops for this purpose? Also for the pig folks out there, I don't have access to Tamworths in Uruguay but I saw Durok Jersey's at the last rural. Seemed that they had a decent coat and might survive in the field. Keep in mind we are somewhat effected by that ozone hole stuff in the summer.

Thanks,

Tom Irwin