There is not much we, as consumers do about the price gouging, except
perhaps to use less oil.  Not just in your cars, but by using less energy
overall.  As Mike already pointed out, President Carter wore a sweater
around the White House and turned the thermostat down.  But turning off
lights in rooms not in use, turning down your hot water heaters in the
summer months, getting heavier drapes to keep out the hot sun/cold drafts,
etc.  Oh yeah, and maybe try using some of that fancy biofuel.  If W is
encouraging us to use it, then it must be good stuff.

Seriously, it is good to see that more and more people are waking up and
realizing that the United States has a profit-driven economy, and that
supply and demand works (supply runs short, demand doesn't, so raise
prices).  But to think that the Federal Guvment will fix it by taxing us
more?  What are they thinking?  OK, let's assume (snicker, ha-ha) that the
Federal Guvment was able to efficiently and effectively manage the
dispersement of R&D funds towards alternative fuels research.  And let's
also assume that the Federal Guvment were to add an additional tax on the
windfall profits that oil companies are making on this price gouging (yeah,
like W's puppetmasters would go for that).  Well, how do they define
windfall profit?  All profit? Only profit that is considered excessive? How
excessive is excessive - 10%, 20%, 30%?  Who sets the bar?  Would you trust
W to set the bar?  How about Congress?  Given their (W, his administration,
the Congress, etc.) track record with collecting taxes and spending money on
the right things, IMHO, they should just stay out of it.  Government
meddling in a free-market economy is never a good thing.

Enjoy!

Earl Kinsley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"That government is best which governs least."  --  Thomas Paine
Check out my latest blogs at http://KinsleyForPrez08.blogspot.com